Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Not Alone

So, recently I have been realizing how much diabetes and everything that comes along with diabetes is drilled into my brain.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I have my philosophy class with about 30 other students just like me. We all text during class, some "take notes" on the computers, while others "take notes" in their notebooks.

Whenever there is a sound in the room, no one thinks twice about it because it is just another text message coming in, or it is just another pen dropping to the floor or it is just another athlete falling asleep in class. However, a week or two ago, I heard a sound that caught my attention or some reason. For some odd reason, this sound stood out against all the rest.

Even though I keep my pump on vibrate, I definitely can distinguish the sound of a Medtronic Minimed pump beeping, as if someone was giving themselves a bolus. I jerked my head around the room but could not figure out who it was with the pump. The next class, the same thing happened again. It took me three class periods to finally figure out who was the culprit with the beeping pump.

Now, the point of explaining this was just because it was such a wake up call for me. Especially that specific day when I first heard the pump going off. That day, I was having a pity party for myself for some reason (which I rarely do) and then when I heard someone else's pump going off, it brought me back and forced me to realize that I am not the only person suffering from this disease. It was a very humbling moment which is always good to have every once and a while.

So whenever you are feeling down, just remember you are not alone:)

No comments:

Post a Comment