Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Daily Reminder

So, as I have previously talked about, I have a hard time testing my blood sugar as often as I should be. Before this past summer, I would go days without testing and over a week without changing my pump site. Then when I finally met Nick Jonas, I started testing more but it still wasn't as often as I should have been.

I was constantly trying to think of new ways to get myself motivated enough to test my blood sugar at least three times a day. And as of Sunday, I think I finally figured out a way to remind myself to test.

Yes, I got a tattoo. And yes, it is real.

For the past two years, I have thought about getting a tattoo that was diabetes related, but I just couldn't figure out what I wanted that I would not get tired of. And I finally figured it out when I thought of getting "test yourself" on my finger. 

For me, it is the perfect tattoo. Not only does it literally mean to test myself, as in testing my blood sugar; but it can also mean 'challenge yourself' and try new things which I have a hard time doing. I thought about getting it in a less obvious spot but that would ruin the point of getting it because it is meant to be a constant reminder and something that I should be constantly thinking about. 

I am so unbelievably happy thatI finally got this tattoo because so far, it has been working tremendously. I have been testing at least four times a day and I am able to keep my blood sugars in check better which makes me feel better physically overall.

While I understand that everyone has their own reminders of when and how often to test throughout the day, I just could not stick with one or find one that has actually made an impact on the habits. But now, I have found out what works for me and I am happy with that. 
Plus, I am completely in love with my new tattoo and that is all that matters right now :)

The only scary part about the whole thing will be my parents reactions since they have no clue yet. BUT it is parents weekend and they get in town on Thursday so they will find out soon enough. **fingers crossed**

No comments:

Post a Comment